23 September 2005

The Four Humors: Which are ya?

So in the old days they used to believe that there were four types of bodily fluid that affected your personality: melanchoic, choleric, phlegmatic, and sanguine fluids. They were different colors: black, yellow, green, and red respectively. They also related to the season and the four elements. Anyway, this outdated science plays into literary study and I've been looking into it recently. I was born with a strange, rare blood disorder called Gilbert Syndrome. It causes a build up of bilirubin in my blood and can cause a yellow tinge when I'm sick or stressed. This would have been diagnosed as a choleric humor back in da day. But I don't feel angry and harsh. I feel like I would fall into the phlegmatic or melancholic category, basically denoting a "chilled out" personality. My girlfriend would almost certainly be sanguine. What are you guys???


Humour: Body substance, produced by, Element, Qualities, Complexion, and Body type/Personality

Sanguine: blood, liver, air, hot and moist, red-cheeked, corpulent amorous, happy, generous, optimistic, irresponsible

Choleric: yellow bile, spleen, fire, hot and dry, red-haired, thin violent, vengeful, short-tempered, ambitious

Phlegmatic: phlegm, lungs, water, cold and moist, corpulent, Sluggish, pallid, cowardly

Melancholic: black, bile, gall bladder, earth, cold and dry, sallow, thin, Introspective, sentimental, gluttonous

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am hard to excite. That means I'm Earth. I like it. It sounds hard core!

Mr. Jenkins said...

i would much rather be that kid with the "heart" ring... from captain planet. the earth fellow had too much "room for error" if you ask me.

(shrugs shoulders.)