10 September 2008

My Mind is a Hive of Bees

I stay pretty busy, and pretty distracted, which keeps me from doing things I want to do, like writing, painting, or just spending time with my wife.

I've been reading Merlin Mann's blog, 43 folders for a long time now, but he recently posted this awesome essay about productivity and cutting distractions so that you can "make awesome stuff" on his other blog here.

Read it. It's been making me think a lot.

Thoreau went out in the woods to live deliberately. He wrote in Walden, "Our life is frittered away by detail. An honest man has hardly need to count more than his ten fingers, or in extreme cases he may add his ten toes, and lump the rest. Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity!"

I'm digging this kind of thinking lately.

2 comments:

Mr. Jenkins said...

Have you heard/seen the book of illustrations based on Thoreau's "Walden"? Its awesome. I'll find the artist and let you know.

jeqso: Just enough queso, so... oh!

jimmy (dge.y.m.ie) said...

I've not seen it! It sounds rad. Also, I think this Merlin Mann dude might be Buddhist, so I'm particularly curious about your perspective on this simplifying thang as it relates to that perspective.

Bringin' it back! Nice! Here's mine: pueff: the sound a French fart makes...