Lauren and I went to Pittsburgh this past weekend. I had an English Conference, where I presented a cleaner version of this paper.
But! We also got to sightsee.
I finally got to go to the Andy Warhol Museum! (For you long term readers, you may remember that I arrived at the front door of this little Mecca of mine, 15 minutes too late last time.)
We also went to a cool art gallery called The Mattress Factory, which had several installations.
We ate Lauren's birthday dinner in a nice restaurant that used to be a railway station a long time ago.
One of my favorite new artists is James Turrell. Imagine an elevator opening up to a floor, where there is only a map lighted in front of you. You have to walk through a dark kind of labyrinth to see his pieces like the one below. As you walk toward what you think is a two dimensional surface, you realize that it is actually a hole into another room!!!

I love it when any artist can present you with an alternate reality. There's something magical about that for me.
1 comment:
Vonnegut seems to have earned, at least compared to most critics, the right to a voice. Sounds like a fun trip was had. Good to have yall back!
Post a Comment