I was at a prayer meeting called "Harp & Bowl" a couple weeks ago. (the title comes from a passage in Revelation in which all these elders are around the throne of God holding Harps and Bowls: where the Harp represents our worship songs to God and the Bowl is the incense of our prayers to him). Anyway, I've been thinking about our prayers and songs to God and the old Psalmists prayers to Him and how they use such strange imagery sometimes. Sometimes I wonder if the imagery was off the wall even for them, and isn't just a cultural disconnect for us. So I wrote a love song/poem to God in that moment there, and here's what I came up with. Don't laugh. (Or do, I would).
i would follow you into a sea of spoons,
which i imagine would be pretty hard to swim in.
your love makes my lungs shake-and gives them strength.
i think i'd probably endure bludgeonings from critters
i'd eat wart fritters.
for you, i'd work real hard on an art project
that would turn out shoddy and
eventually break.
But you'd like it and keep it in a
box somewhere.
somewhere safe. somewhere holy.
i would try to fly with you nearby
and leap from the hood of my car
only to skin my knee,
but it'd be worth it
to see your smile.
i'd like to introduce to you my mom.
after spending the night awkwardly in separate rooms.
she'd admire you over morning coffee
while i sleep in.
i'd share my favorite pencil with you
and the depths of my heart.
i think that my love for you
could drive me to learn the violin
or some really difficult Eastern European language,
and it'd all be worth it
to see you smile.
2 comments:
yes...
how brave you've become posting your writing for the world to see. im so proud of you...its a lovely little ditty.
Post a Comment