17 August 2005

Existential Crisis

So. Recently, I feel as if I've been experiencing this crazy existential crisis in the vein of Albert Camus, Kierkegaard, Neitzche, among others. I've been struggling with meaning and purpose. I feel like I'm not quite sure what matters and that leaves me unable to act. I worry. I worry about what I'm supposed to be doing so much that I cannot love, I can't help my mom around the house, etc.

Kierkegaard says, "Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it...but by sitting still, and the more one sits still, the closer one comes to feeling ill...If one just keeps on walking everything will be all right." Kierkegaard may be my new favorite writer.

What I'm learning is just to enjoy the moment. But there are times where it is just hard to do the mundane (to clean out my car for example). I mean what's the point!?!

King Solomon says in Ecclesiastes that everything is meaningless. I feel this burden often. But he also says that a gift from God is to be able to enjoy eating and drinking and the daily toil of men. God, how I want to be content with the moment. I have so much of a desire to do great things, but I'll never get there unless I'm able to do what's good in this second, or minute, or hour.

And for those of you interested in a better picture of existentialism. Check this site out.

"Do not worry about tomorrow, for each day has enough trouble of its own." -Jesus

6 comments:

Niles said...

i'm a kirk reader and walker and when i thought through these things, i paired kirk with paul and solomon. meaning everything is meaningless (ecles) however, what ever we do in love is the work of Jesus. what we do out of selfish desires is not. cleaning out my car could be either, but on the mundane i muse on Christ until i'm done with that task. love is the mystery and the walk is long and beautiful.

Mr. Jenkins said...

solid.

dwsimmons said...

Interesting stuff your thinking about and experiencing. Have you ever thought that doing some of the mundane things is being a good steward of what God gave? I just thought of that. Jesus definitely had to do mundane things too, though
Love ya man

Mr. B said...

I've definitely been thinking that recently. Even mowing the grass can honor God. I'm really learning that we can be obedient and not have to change the world (at least not today).

Mr. Jenkins said...

ps. i'm not trying to make you feel good or anything with this statment... but i honestly am glad that you are in my life. and me in yours. this has never happened before ever in history.

Mr. Jenkins said...

although, if it makes you feel good, then.... good.