14 May 2007


I got to see The Album Leaf with Lauren and Matt this past Thursday night in Charlotte at the Neighborhood Theatre.

The music was ethereal. They played video behind the band that was really interesting. And well... it was pretty flippin sweet. But...



Man, I was a little emotionally overcome by their creative genius. It made me want to paint, write, draw, cut up paper, send a letter, make a film, record an ep, and basically just do something!!!

I was inspired. So inspired. It has been about 80 hours since then. And I haven't done a dang creative thing. This frustrates me. I want to create man! Create!!! Why do I just sit like a bump on the log and waste my life?

I know I can do it. I just don't know how to work up the gusto.

I mean, I think about something Mark Twain said:

"I'm not a worker bee, I'm a lightning bug."

Right on Twain.

Right on.

How do you guys do it? Stay inspired? Put your hand to the wheel? And accomplish something supremely impressive???

3 comments:

Mr. Jenkins said...

jimmy, you just created feelings with words. shapes and sizes. a combination of 26 or less symbols... you molded a story. that's your thing, man.

reading this, i knew exactly what you meant by "creative genius".

write.

i wrote 6 songs for a special someone last week. they inspired me. just do it.

oh yeah, and don't think that hard about it.

gDodson said...

i stumbled upon your blog via danielle's blog, and wanted to comment about the album leaf show. i've recently discovered these guys, as well as explosions in the sky. good stuff. glad to hear the show was good.

Friendstacy said...

when I'm having problems like being unable to create something, anything, it's always because of self-doubt or fear (fear of what the neighbors might think, fear that I won't succeed, fear of something or another). You can do it. You know you can. So what's stopping you? Go to the dollar store and get a box of crayons, or sidewalk chalk, or bake a batch of cookies, or write a poem, or whatever else floats yer boat. Creativity comes in all shapes and sizes.